USA logoAn Official Website of the United States Government

You are here

NPS Permit

Responsible Agency: 
Permits for rights-of-way, easements or other non-park uses: Informational requirements are determined on a case-by-case basis, and applicants should consult with the Park Superintendent before making formal application. The applicant must provide sufficient information on the proposed non-park use, as well as park resources and resource-related values to be affected directly and indirectly by the proposed use in order to allow the Service to evaluate the application, assess the impact of the proposed use on the NPS unit and other environmental values, develop restrictions/stipulations to mitigate adverse impacts, and reach a decision on issuance of the instrument. Policies concerning regulation of special uses are described in the NPS Management Policies Notebook.
Projects to be located on NPS lands
Statute or Regulations: 
Rights-of-way through parks or reservations for power and communications facilities (16 USC 5), Rights-of-way for public utilities (16 USC 79) (NPS does not have authority, however, to issue rights-of-way for oil or gas pipelines.)